Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I did it

Well finally after many, many, many years I sewed a dress without the help of my mom.
I remember when I was in junior high and my mom helped me make my very own outfit, it was a sweater and a skirt. I'm sure she actually did most of it, but I have a picture of me in it and I'm pretty sure I thought back then I did it all.
Well I went shopping in my mom's room full of material and patterns and I found a pattern for a little girls dress and some material that looked cute.
I started cutting out the pattern and was thinking to myself "I'm happy the pattern says that it is a 'Easy to Use' pattern". I was excited because I had cut things out and was ready to read each instruction and easily sew it together.
Okay so what I have learned is that when a pattern says "Easy", it means easy for a person who can already sew things and who knows sewing terminoligy. Woops. Oh well I thought that if I didn't know what a word meant I would just look it up on google. That seemed to help me out quite a bit.
I still had to read over each line about 5 times before I completely understood what to do, but I slowly and surely finished a cute little dress for Jenna. She loves it. She was happy she could twirl in it. I see all the imperfections, but I'm trying not to dwell on those because I did it all by myself. I'm quite proud of myself. I even put in a zipper. I think I might venture into making more of Jenna's clothes, after all she is my only girl and it's way more fun to make girly things.
Thanks to my kids for having naps so I could finish the dress so fast.



4 comments:

Sarah Willett said...

Supper cute! you are sooooo right about pattern they are not user friendly. It is so fun to sew for little girls.

Kate said...

That is the most adorable dress! I totally want to borrow that pattern someday and you can totally tell me how to make it right?

Emily said...

I love that dress. The material is so adorable! Good work.

Emily said...

I love that dress. The material is so adorable! Good work.