Monday, September 27, 2010

What can I learn from this?

Oh boy, today was a test of my patience and I think I failed. Some people have said to me before "how do you 'do it' with 4 kids?" Well sometimes I don't 'do it' with 4 kids. For example: today I dropped Jenna off at school and took the boys to do some grocery shopping. Things were pretty good as we started out, but progressively got worse. An hour later standing at the checkout I was fried. I was trying to get the groceries on the conveyer belt and Owen (1 1/2 years old) kept on trying to get out of the cart. This is not allowed or he'll be off in 2 seconds and I would have to run after him. I finally got all my groceries out and then the wait began. The people infront of us had a million groceries and they needed 3 price checks and in the middle of scanning their stuff some manager came to the cashier and needed to switch a bunch of money and she started showing her how to lay her bills in the till. Well that just tipped me over the edge, by now all the kids (Brody 3 1/2, Owen 1 1/2 and Cole 6 months)were screaming, not just crying or sobbing, but screaming. I told the cashier that I was just going to leave and wasn't taking any of my stuff. I bolted out of there and put all of them in the van. They still kept crying and I ended up taking them to my mom's house so they could play outside and I could get a break.
Okay what can I learn from this?
1. I needed to bring a bottle for my 6 month old
2. I needed to bring snacks for the other two
3. I needed to eat before I went (I was super grumpy)
4. Maybe I shouldn't take my kids grocery shopping
5. I could have asked the 20 people that were standing around and just watching for about 20 minutes to help........I'm not sure they would have, cause they didn't.
6. I have never just walked away before, but it's okay to walk away.
7. Kids are unpredictable so bring food ALWAYS!

Sorry no pictures, just a mom who needed to vent a little.

4 comments:

Sarah Willett said...

you are awesome Chisty and don't forget it. I wish I could have watched your kids. Maybe this is why I was thinking of you today. Hang in there.

love ya
sarah

Kara said...

I understand. In my 3 kid-way. Full tummies definitely help :) Oi.

Karen said...

I can't imagine grocery shopping with THREE kids! The other day I was at the check out at Superstore and I turned around for 10 seconds and Eva was standing up in the cart ready to climb right out. It was so scary!
At church on Sunday she threw a major temper tantrum in Sunday School and when I went to pick her up to take her out she did the twist and slither right out of my arms and threw herself back on the floor. I had to put my scriptures, lesson manual, and diaper bag down so I could get a good grip on her. Even then, she was almost out of my grasp by the time I reached the door!
I think some tantrums can be avoided by being prepared, by other times Eva is just determined to be heard!
Good for you for leaving everything there and taking a break at your Mom's. Shame on everyone around you who didn't help!!!

Team Torrie said...

I have no comment here, it stressed me out just reading this Christy. You're a GREAT lady.